Finally! Spring has arrived in Chicago, and as I mentioned in my March Newsletter, this begins a season of activity. Just as the flowers push up from the ground and trees begin to bud, we too feel nature encouraging us to loosen our bodies as energy moves up and out. So let’s talk about some healthy spring ideas!
Spring is a great time to push the “reset” button and do some gentle cleansing and rejuvenation of the body and mind. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) the Spring season corresponds with the Liver and Gallbladder which physiologically help to clean out our systems.
I hear a lot of people talk about “cleanses” and “detox” programs, however if you have a healthy liver, gallbladder and kidneys you really don’t need to “detox”. Your body was built with detox systems already in place. I do, however, think it’s a great idea to give your system a break by cleaning up what you eat.
Spring Health Tips:[checklist icon=”check” iconcolor=”” circle=”yes”]
- eat less
- steer clear of highly processed foods (a good rule in general)
- eat more leafy greens like kale, chard, arugula, mustard greens and parsley
- add more cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi and brussel sprouts
- move that qi! stretching and walking do wonders for muscles, tendons and lungs
- spend more times outdoors
- move the bowels every day
Acupuncture and herbal medicine support your whole body, including the natural detoxifying systems of the liver, kidneys, lymphatics and bowels. If you feel that yours need a boost, please contact us to schedule an appointment.
Don’t forget that we always offer a FREE 10 MINUTE PHONE CONSULTATION to answer questions or curiosity about how acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can help you.